Saturday, May 26, 2012

In The Garage - 2.5RS Wheel Bearings

After spending $200 on tools, $400 on parts, and a day of vacation on this piece, my car is still not fixed. Until this evening, all I had really accomplished was slide hammering the shit out of my hand twice and turning a few new and used parts into scrap steel. Although the car isn't all the way together yet, I can now give the following advice: If you don't have the tools and you do have an Impreza with wheel bearings that sound like a commuter train, think very hard about buying the parts and taking them to a shop for installation.


You see, it wouldn't be that hard if the wheel bearings were not already bad but that's sort of like saying that shaving is easiest when your face is smooth. But in this particular case, the wheel bearing had failed, got super hot and made the grease all stinky. Then it proceeded to puke all of the stinky grease all over the axle splines, where it was baked at a million degrees for 25,000 miles. This has the same effect as welding the axle nut on or using JB weld as assembly lube. Even after spraying the hub down in PB B'laster two days prior, the honey badger wheel bearing don't care and hence was subjected to treatments involving first a gear puller, followed by two jack stands and a 20lb sledge, thereby destroying the hub, axle, and ABS tone ring without question.

On the bright side, I did get to spend the day outside and got a good excuse to buy some sweet new tools (and some pretty awful ones) that will be reviewed soon.

3 comments:

  1. Almost three weeks later and the only difference in the view is the grass is longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the Mrs. take her RS in for wheel bearing a couple of years ago. $1200 later (and a repair that only took 2 hours) I felt that I was taken to the cleaners.
    The mechanics reponse seems fitting. "Sometimes they come right off and are really easy. Sometimes you spend all day on them, only to break a bunch of your tools and have the snap-on guy come by with some round 2 equipment." -Ike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in the end I would have gladly paid someone $1,200 to do it in retrospect. I spent nearly $500 in parts, $250 in tools, and two weekends. But it's finally done and I can hear the radio now!

    ReplyDelete